Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Now that's what I'm talking about. None of that Main Phase 1 and 2 confusing nonsense. Just simple, straightforward turn orders. I like that.

I don't know if this will ever come up in an article, but we definitely need to talk about power resolution order/grid cleanup/Goal requirement checks at some point.
That might be worth going over. I find it's not too big of an issue when playing with the core or first few expansions, but when you start including some of the really out-there cards and expansions, it can get confusing.
Site Updates / Re: Design Article #2: An Overview of TSSSF and Its Card Types
« Last post by N.A. Larson on August 18, 2017, 09:06:11 pm »
Since you brought it up ;) the phases of a turn, as laid out by HPG, are documented in Section 5.7 of the Style Guide.

1) Beginning of Turn
2) Replenish Goals
3) Play Cards
4) Redraw Hand
5) End of Turn

I don't know if this will ever come up in an article, but we definitely need to talk about power resolution order/grid cleanup/Goal requirement checks at some point.
Urgh, sorry I'm so behind. I got stuck in a rut and then started DMing (for the first time ever) a Ponyfinder campaign... Well, sort of. It's complicated.

Anyway, I've been neglecting this site and these articles, and I should rectify that. As for the article itself, you have a brilliant way of breaking down the core premise of the game. Not covering actual turn structure, it's not exactly a complete run down of how to play, but even with that I'd be willing to bet you could explain the game to someone with these articles inside of five minutes.

I'm reminded of a video I watched recently, breaking down the rules of Magic: the Gathering in a simple and comedic way. It was still a twenty minute video covering a wealth of information and still didn't catch some of the nuances of play, and as someone who has played Magic for somewhere over a decade, it makes me appreciate how overly complicated Magic is.

Now, I say that because, as someone who has played Magic for over a decade, I've come to love more simplistic games that can be explained and understood within a few minutes. That's something that's always drawn me to TSSSF (and other card games that aren't trying to ape MtG) — it doesn't concern itself with complicated turn structure or damage calculations or any of that fiddly stuff. You can bring someone in, show them a few cards and explain the basic rules, start a game with them, and by turn three they've already hit the ground running and playing on their own.

My point is that articles like this are important, not just to showcase how straightforward the game is, but to provide a base for others who may either not know how to explain things themselves or who never have heard of it before and want to know how it plays.

Wow that's more words than I expected.

Video for those interested: https://youtu.be/ZixWqaGJVQs
Showcase / Re: Foreshadow Prep
« Last post by Ithry on August 01, 2017, 10:35:38 am »
Full set finished in the original post!
Site Updates / Design Article #3: What is a Pony?
« Last post by N.A. Larson on August 01, 2017, 07:34:59 am »
Design Article #3 now live! Discuss it below! https://childrenofkefentse.com/news/8
General Discussion / Discord Server
« Last post by Kefentse on July 22, 2017, 10:13:04 pm »
We also have a Discord server:

https://discord.gg/7RPsMgR
Site Updates / Design Article #2: An Overview of TSSSF and Its Card Types
« Last post by Ithry on July 18, 2017, 11:30:11 am »
Discussion of Design Article #2, which you can read here: https://childrenofkefentse.com/news/7
Site Updates / Re: Design Article #1: The Heart of TSSSF
« Last post by N.A. Larson on July 15, 2017, 11:44:33 am »
yeah, we'll definitely talk about what effect the grid has on the game. As to different shapes, according to HPG's Tumblr post I linked in my last post, they originally tried a hex grid. I imagine that would make it hard to play a Ship between 2 adjacent Ponies.

If the points aren't awarded by a judge, you're left with winning by beating your opponents or completing objectives. Since TSSSF was specifically designed NOT to be head-to-head (again, see the Tumblr post), that leaves completing objectives. If all the objectives are present simultaneously, the game becomes very predictable, like chess with it standard openings. Having the objectives on rotating Goal cards keeps the game fresh, and difficult to plan around (again, because TSSSF is not head-to-head). If you want your victory points (achieved Goals) go down, you should play with Ithry's #MadeOurMark cards ;)

Redrawing up to the hand limit keeps the game moving. The more cards you have, the more you can do. Also, it encourages players to get rid of (play) their "bad" cards. As to seven, I imagine the number was determined by trial and error, but I know that lets you make 3 plays, and hang on one Pony card.
Showcase / Re: Foreshadow Prep
« Last post by Lord LunaEquie is me on July 12, 2017, 12:39:49 pm »
Yeah, for now I've only been going to local conventions (meaning around Dallas, Texas), and honestly the size of Bronycon scares me. If you're willing, though, I'd definitely pay for shipping a couple of (or all) the sets you've designed.

I think the smug superiority of the Shadowbolts definitely shines through those flavor texts, probably even better than if they were traditional TSSSF quotes.

I didn't actually mean to imply that you had taken a page from Magic so much as much as admitting how quickly my mind slips back to Magic. Besides, "reveal from your hand before playing for a bigger effect" is more of a common mechanic nowadays, I think.
Site Updates / Re: Design Article #1: The Heart of TSSSF
« Last post by Lord LunaEquie is me on July 12, 2017, 11:37:46 am »
I was just throwing out random hypotheticals that came to mind. As for what I meant by them...

Yeah, I more or less meant "how does building the grid in the way it is help the game progress?", or, "how is the shape of the grid advantageous over other forms that could have been used?" -- though I understand the connections with actual shipping grids really drove the game towards the shape it is now.

As for points, there are a number of ways board games tackle point systems and winning. You give the examples of judge games like Superfight, Snake Oil, or Cards Against Humanity, and while yes that is a very fair comparison, many head-to-head board and card games have life systems where points go down, while others can use the victory points as a resource. Munchkin, for instance, is a first to ten points game, but your points go up and down like a life source.

Hand sizes and plays, too, can very from game to game. Ticket to Ride has no hand size and lets you play one track from your hand a turn, from one to six trains depending on the route, but you can't draw on the same turn and vice-versa, but it also lets you draw or pick two cards unless you pick a revealed wild from the pool, so you can save up a massive hand (I sat on a ~40 card hand on my first game because of bad draws). Most deckbuilding games give you a predetermined hand size, too, but you have to discard any unused cards at the end of your turn, then draw back up to full (usually 5). I'm not saying I think it's wrong to play as many as you can per turn then draw back up to seven, I'm just curious of the design decision behind it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10