Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Showcase / Re: Foreshadow Prep
« Last post by Ithry on July 12, 2017, 12:19:14 am »
Glad you like the set so far! There's 3 cards left to show off, so I hope you like them as much as these! As you can probably figure, at least one of them will feature Sci-Twi!

Though I used to play Magic a ton, including during the Guilds sets, the Foresight mechanic actually never crossed my mind when I was designing Foreshadow! It's funny how similar they are mechanically (and names too)! As you mentioned, they're designed to be stoppable for the most part, especially if you have the hand disruption mechanics in Wonderbolt Nights or Siren's Song.

The flavor text for the Shadowbolts is some of my favorite ones that I've written. They are definitely suspension of disbelief and fourth wall breaking, but the Shadowbolts were a great opportunity to do this kind of flavor! I wanted to give them personality and make sure people knew they were "pre-Friendship Games" Shadowbolts as opposed to any future iterations they might have. It also provides a nice contrast from Sci-Twi's quotes, which are more "traditional" TSSSF quotes. She's caught up in her own business and doesn't have time to fourth wall break. You'll see what I mean in the coming weeks!

If you're coming to Bronycon I'd be happy to part with a set if you'd like to buy one! If you're not able to make it feel free to PM me after the con! I might have some left over!
Site Updates / Re: Design Article #1: The Heart of TSSSF
« Last post by N.A. Larson on July 11, 2017, 10:16:08 pm »
The grid is meant to represent a shipping chart, but I take it you're wondering about the mechanical implications and consequences of having or not having a grid. We hadn't talked about doing an article specifically about the grid, but we might if the topic isn't adequately explored elsewhere. Certainly it will be touched on when we discuss Ship cards, slice (the ability to discard a Ship card from the grid, i.e. grid destruction), and the flavor/mechanics balance of TSSSF.

I think we've pretty much covered why points are used instead of a judge, but this concept will be revisited in the flavor/mechanics article.

I'm not sure what you mean by "refill the hand." How else would players not run out of cards to play?
« Last post by Lord LunaEquie is me on July 11, 2017, 06:52:02 pm »
I can't think of anything in particular that I would want covered. I just in general want to hear what makes the game tick -- why build the grid, why use the points, why refill the hand, etc.
Website Issues / [Fixed]News section of main site
« Last post by Lord LunaEquie is me on July 11, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »
The news button on the main site organizes news in the wrong order. The oldest post is displayed first and the newest at the bottom.

I should hope this can be fixed by changing the display order from "descending" to "ascending" (or vice-versa; I have always been confused by those two terms). Best catch it now before you have so many articles that the news section becomes useless.

EDIT: fixed at some point. Thank you!
Showcase / Re: Foreshadow Prep
« Last post by Lord LunaEquie is me on July 11, 2017, 06:47:41 pm »
Ohmygodyes.

This had me grinning like a madman. Firstly, the Shadowbolts were the best part of EQGmovie3. I loved Lemon Zest's design and Sugarcoat was the only thing to get a laugh out of me that movie.

Secondly, new mechanic! *squee* And so strong! Yet so easily shut down! Honestly my first thought was the Forecast mechanic from Magic: the Gathering, but I'm a long-time player of MtG, so of course my mind would jump to a mechanic from my favorite block. Here, though, the effects feel more like other players can more or less plan around them. Drawing twice you may not be able to do much against, but all the others give players plenty of time to plan around -- especially the mulligan effect on Sugarcoat. Point is, I love it!

Thirdly, but certainly not leastly, the flavor text is just to die over. A small part of me says "but why are they breaking the fourth wall?", but the larger part of me is just laughing at the brilliant light-hearted pokes. Again I love the idea of it being mandatory to read out the flavor text when playing cards, because something like this would come up.

If ever I meet you I'm going to have to give you a small fortune for all these fantastic cards you've designed.
Showcase / Foreshadow Prep
« Last post by Ithry on July 11, 2017, 10:44:18 am »
An 8 card set featuring pony versions of the Shadowbolts with art by Ashley Nichols!

« Last post by N.A. Larson on July 10, 2017, 07:28:37 am »
Glad you're looking forward to these articles! Are there any topics or questions in particular you'd like to see us address? Also, good point on the number of players needed for TSSSF vs CAH!
« Last post by Lord LunaEquie is me on July 07, 2017, 10:12:30 pm »
I'm looking forward to these articles. I'm big on the "inside baseball" aspect of design articles and talks, and I would love to get into the nitty-gritty of what makes TSSSF work so that I can better design my own cards.

As for the article itself, I completely agree with the "easy to learn" aspect. The rules and gameplay are so straightforward a newcomer can basically start playing after seeing a single player's turn, because pretty much everything is laid out on the table for them. The design is also so masterfully abstract that I think it really captures the essence of fanficcing and shipping that even people without experience in that can easily understand what players are doing in-game.

As I've said elsewhere, I love both how tightly the mechanics tie in to shipping, as well as how easily they could be reskinned for a different aesthetic. One thing I've never said, though, is that I really appreciate how flexible the point system is. Unlike games that use a judge, you can have a game with three, two, or even just one person without much issue. I've never had many friends at a time in the meat, so it's been difficult for me to play a lot of those kinds of games, because they don't work incredibly well unless you have a decent party of at least four people and it usually works better with more.
Site Updates / Design Article #1: The Heart of TSSSF
« Last post by Lord LunaEquie is me on July 07, 2017, 09:44:59 pm »
News article linked here.

The purpose of this thread is for discussion of the article.
Showcase / Wow! Glimmer
« Last post by Ithry on July 04, 2017, 12:49:47 pm »
A new one-off card for Bronycon! A reference to a certain Glim Glam meme.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10