Author Topic: Used and Unused Assets  (Read 114539 times)

Offline Lord LunaEquie is me

• View Profile
Used and Unused Assets
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:10:02 pm »
So, in light of needing to make a few cards missing from my collection that have come out since my big printing adventure, I was briefly rooting around the card art repository, and I noticed a few things.

The first, is that there are completed but unused art, such as for a goal called Baka Kawaii Kissu (which obviously was meant for Weeabu Paradaisu), and that I'd love to make those into cards, probably with some help again.

The second thing I noticed was that, in cross-referencing with the text-only card database, that at least a few of these unused art pieces have been made into cards, most notably Cat Burglar Scootaloo and Con Mare Sweetie Belle in an expansion called Cutie Mark Criminals.

Now, of course I'm curious where these expansions can be found, but mostly I want to ask if anyone had done any cross-referencing as to what all art has remained unused? If no one has, I might embark on that quest myself, but I don't want to put that much work into something if it's already been done.

Offline N.A. Larson

• Administrator
  • Buy my book. Drink Pepsi.
    • View Profile
Re: Used and Unused Assets
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 07:59:09 am »
A lot of that artwork is from private commissions HPG did back in the day. Whenever we find such a card, we add it to the database. The only way to find out if an artwork is ACTUALLY unused is to ask HPG.

...Which I did for Baka Kawaii Kissu, because I've been thinking about that one myself! 😜 Based on the art style, I think it was actually meant to be part of the Cherry Blossoms Under Hoof fic from Core Deck. I would put that art on a Ship card and give it a title more reflective of the scene, like "Romantic Rivals" or just "Rivals". The way I see it, Dash and Trixie are both trying to capture the heart of the same pony (the one Dash is talking to on Tsundere Rainbow Dash), and in this scene, Trixie has been waiting in Dash's path to tell her she has no chance because Trixie is prettier/refined/richer than she is (throw in a Fufufu or an Ohoho for good measure). I haven't watched anime in a long time, so I'm open to suggestions with the flavor text/title. This card's been on the back burner for a while, but since you also have an interest, let's revive it.

Another one I'm working on is the unused Fluffle Puff art (also going on a Ship card), which I asked Fluffy Mixer about at BronyCon, which reminds me I need to get in touch with him to see if he has an idea for flavor text.

Oh, and Cutie Mark Criminals was made by Preston Moore (‪@TailsFox88‬ on Twitter).

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:19:46 am »
I guess I'll see about cross-referencing the material, then. I'll let you know what I find. I know at least Trick Candle still checks the Horrible People email, because last year I got a same-day response when I was asking about the Shipwrecker arts.

As to making Baka Kawaii Kissu into a card, I consider myself to have watched a fair bit of anime, but I have a hard time even understanding the concept of "weeabu", so I can't speak in ani-meme or whatever you'd call it. Making it into a ship card does sound like a good idea, though, because I can't get a feel right away for what kind of goal it would be, unlike with, say, Blood And Shadows.

Offline N.A. Larson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:00:50 am »
Blood and Shadows is one I'd like to know if it ever made into a card. I could see it being a Kefentse x Celestia or OC x Celestia Goal (or break up an OC with Celestia and replace it with Kefentse), but I could also see it being a Ship with the caption Pixel Prism gave it back when she posted it on Tumblr: *Slurp, slurp*

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 11:44:14 pm »
Went through all the goals... Gonna head off to bed now. Here's what I've found so far; you can look through these if you want, if you feel you would recognize any that weren't in the spreadsheet of all the cards.

OHGODWHYDOSPOILERSNOTWORKEVERYTHINGISBROKENHELP (I will try to format this later) Formatted, but good god this table system is awful.

NameFound under
Finished/Sketch?
url
Big Mac is Big Mackin'
card
early version, no backgroundhere
Blood and Shadows
card
completehere
Defanged Chrysalis
card
sketch, became Chryssiehere
A Beautiful Symphony
goal
sketchhere
A Dragon's Honor
goal
sketchhere
An Awful Lot of Running
goal
finishedhere
Background Pony Party
goal
finishedhere
Baka Kawaii Kissu
goal
finishedhere
Beautiful Quartet
goal
finishedhere
Beware the Groove
goal
early versionhere
But I Thought You Wanted Whining
goal
finishedhere
Contemporaries
goal
finishedhere
Cupcakes
goal
finished,
(from unfinished It's Practically Canon expansion)
here
Family Appreciation Day
goal
early versionhere
Grand Theft Waifu
goal
finishedhere
Incur Leekfish's Wrath
goal
finishedhere
It's Always The Quiet Ones
goal
sketchhere
Kiss and Make Chaos
goal
sketchhere
Leave the Box
goal
finishedhere
Leave the Box (Zalgo version)
goal
finishedhere
My Waifu
goal
finished, early versionhere
No Fate But What You Make
goal
sketchhere
Now It's A Party
goal
sketch of Ain't No Party Like a Pinkie Pie Partyhere
Oh Caramel
goal
sketchhere
Oh the Places You'll Go
goal
finishedhere
Patter
goal
sketchhere
Personal Training Session
goal
sketchhere
Power and More Power
goal
sketchhere
Princest
goal
sketchhere
Retcon
goal
sketch,
looks like an early version of Now Kiss
here
So Many Ponies
goal
finishedhere
The Doctorderpy
goal
sketchhere
The Fun Has Been Doubled
goal
sketchhere
The Sage From the Past (sketch)
goal
sketchhere
The Sage From the Past (finished)
goal
finishedhere
Under the Table
goal
finishedhere
Will It Fit
goal
finishedhere
Wizard's Duel
goal
finishedhere
You Are Amongst Royalty
goal
sketchhere
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:05:47 pm by Lord LunaEquie is me »

Offline N.A. Larson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 03:22:11 pm »
I don't get it. I thought you were looking for unused, complete art? Also, a couple of these are in the database.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 07:21:44 pm »
I mean, if I make or have someone make a card, I definitely want finished art, but my main purpose here was to go through the ENTIRE database to see what wasn't used, so that it becomes a known quantity (or whatever the proper term is).

I definitely missed Cutie Mark Crusaders Matchmakers because I was only looking through the goals, when the art got put on a ship, but after a while I just wasn't being super observant; as long as I didn't recognize the art (and it didn't show up after a CTRL+F), it went in the list.

That said, I'm not surprised that I missed a few in the text database, and I'd be grateful to anyone able to whittle down the list which I've already pulled out. After that, then I'll see about contacting Horrible People to see if they can confirm usage of the (hopefully only a handful of remaining unclaimed art).

I'll be tackling the Ships next, because that's the smaller stack and I've already got five art from Goals or Actions that became Ships.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 08:25:58 pm »
Well, ships are done. 2/3 of the way through the master folder now. Well, considering the size of the Ponies pile maybe more like 5/8. Ponies, too, so the master folder is all done.

Name
Found under
Finished/Sketch?
url
Chemistry Lab Experiment
ship
sketch,
early idea for Chemistry Lab Explosion!
here
Extra Credit
ship
finishedhere