Author Topic: Design Article #3: What is a Pony?  (Read 22173 times)

Offline N.A. Larson

• Administrator
  • Buy my book. Drink Pepsi.
    • View Profile
Design Article #3: What is a Pony?
« on: August 01, 2017, 07:34:59 am »
Design Article #3 now live! Discuss it below! https://childrenofkefentse.com/news/8

Offline Lord LunaEquie is me

• View Profile
Re: Design Article #3: What is a Pony?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 11:49:41 pm »
In reading this, an interesting notion that I hadn't considered before entered my mind. The way I have been playing was that ponies and ships MUST be played together (with a few exceptions, such as Love Poison ships or ponies with the Replace power); the way you describe playing a Draw power, though, it seems like you intend that you only have to worry about grid attachment sometime after you play, like at the end of the turn or something?

Also, I need to clarify something. In the article, you say:
This is useful if there is a Pony on the grid whose power you'd like to activate, but no adjacent Pony to ship it to:

What exactly do you mean here in regards to a activating a pony's power that's on the grid? I had also been under the impression that pony powers (with very few exceptions) only activate once, when played from your hand.

Other than that, I like it. The more I read and the more I play, the more appreciation I gain for the six base pony abilities. Coming in from the super-complex Magic collection, I initially wanted to come up with unique specials and whatnot, but it's slowly becoming clear how important it is to keep them at that simple collection of abilities.

Offline N.A. Larson

• Administrator
  • Buy my book. Drink Pepsi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:36:41 pm »
What exactly do you mean here in regards to a activating a pony's power that's on the grid?

Ah, yes. My article assumes the reader is using the adjacent ship rule described in Section VI of the long-form rules. I find it odd that this is referred as an "Advanced Rule," since its use appears to be fairly standard. Also, I think this may answer your first question as well. Please reply if it doesn't.

The more I read and the more I play, the more appreciation I gain for the six base pony abilities. Coming in from the super-complex Magic collection, I initially wanted to come up with unique specials and whatnot, but it's slowly becoming clear how important it is to keep them at that simple collection of abilities.

This is pretty much my train-of-thought as well, but there's a lot more to say on the subject of Special powers!

Offline Lord LunaEquie is me

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:48:29 pm »
What exactly do you mean here in regards to a activating a pony's power that's on the grid?

Ah, yes. My article assumes the reader is using the adjacent ship rule described in Section VI of the long-form rules. I find it odd that this is referred as an "Advanced Rule," since its use appears to be fairly standard. Also, I think this may answer your first question as well. Please reply if it doesn't.
Ooooooooh. Suddenly it makes a lot more sense why you would want to ship adjacent ponies instead of playing from your hand.

You know, I remember sometime before actually playing the game for myself thinking that WHENEVER ponies got shipped, their powers activated, so that if you shipped adjacent ponies, both their ponies activated, but I think someone disabused me of that notion, so that's probably why I thought they only activated once from the hand. You know, I'm not sure I've ever sat down to read the Full And Complete Ruleset. TSSSF works on the Golden Rule so much it never seemed necessary.