Author Topic: A Panel Of Ponies Completed! (1.0.6)  (Read 9466 times)

Offline NovelIdea

• Do it Right. Do it with Style.
    • View Profile
    • The Manehattan Project - Gardens of Equestria
A Panel Of Ponies Completed! (1.0.6)
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:51:14 pm »
Greetings all!

I’m Novel Idea, a somewhat recent acolyte of the art of the Secret ShipFic. I also happen to be the Executive Producer (and a dozen other things) for the Manehattan Project (http://www.gardensofequestria.com). Running GoE tends to get extremely stressful and I’ve found that TSSSF is a wonderful way to relax. And it still lets me be creative…and the best part? Write purple prose.

I’m quite the fan of the MLP Comics (Siege of the Crystal Empire makes me bawl my eyes out at the end, I’m not ashamed to say) and was thrilled to discover Horrible People Games had done an entire expansion based on it…only to discover that it was never completed!

Well, that needed to rectified.

So I rectified it.

Below you’ll find most of the cards for my version of the “Panel of Ponies” Expansion Set. All of them are in Bleed format so you can use Printer Studio as you see fit.

Let me stress that I am an author and a designer, not an artist. None of the artwork below is mine. The artwork is either directly from the official comics themselves or from fan art where I have received written permission to use the piece (Pixelkitties went a bit nuts when I showed her the ones based on her material). Every single artist has been credited on the card and is even further credited on the card's deviantArt pages, as well as the reasoning behind some design/art decisions.* (http://mlp-novelidea.deviantart.com/gallery/58059629/TSSSF)

*I still have no idea what comic "Subverting the Regime" is supposed to be from!

I only take credit for putting together the design based on the template provided from Horrible People Games, fine tuning spacing, font sizes and the like and that bit of purple prose at the bottom.

So without further ado, I present (most of) the completed version of “A Panel of Ponies!”

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:04:02 pm by NovelIdea »

Offline N.A. Larson

• Administrator
  • Buy my book. Drink Pepsi.
    • View Profile
Re: A Panel Of Ponies Completed! (1.0.6)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:57:48 pm »
Welcome! It’s great to have more people interested in continuing TSSSF!

Actually, Printer Studio makes you agree that you own the copyrights or have permission to use what you get printed, which is unfortunately not the case for the IDW artwork.

I try not to nitpick people’s rules-wording, unless they ask me to, but I noticed two things worth mentioning: The last line of rules text on King Aspen is missing, and the wording on CMC Discord is pretty non-standard. Mahou Shoujo Derpy is a good example, as part of her power is similar to CMC Discord’s (although it should be “active Goals” instead “active Goal cards”; we have that in our errata).

If I had to guess, I'd say “Subverting the Regime” may have been a reference to Discord messing with Anubis in ancient Egypt.

Offline Tutorial Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 05:35:46 am »
I think, better to take arts from community artist, not comic. This will make less problems in the future

Offline NovelIdea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 02:50:07 pm »
Welcome! It’s great to have more people interested in continuing TSSSF!

Actually, Printer Studio makes you agree that you own the copyrights or have permission to use what you get printed, which is unfortunately not the case for the IDW artwork.

I try not to nitpick people’s rules-wording, unless they ask me to, but I noticed two things worth mentioning: The last line of rules text on King Aspen is missing, and the wording on CMC Discord is pretty non-standard. Mahou Shoujo Derpy is a good example, as part of her power is similar to CMC Discord’s (although it should be “active Goals” instead “active Goal cards”; we have that in our errata).

If I had to guess, I'd say “Subverting the Regime” may have been a reference to Discord messing with Anubis in ancient Egypt.

Eep. I forgot about that one. So folks just need to print it privately. ^^; (And sorry for the delay, I lost the damn site and kept forgetting how to spell Kefentse's name)

And now, that's totally fine. I also misspelled something on Discord's card and for some reason had Flim & Flam as Earth Ponies instead of Unicorns. X.X I was borrowing a bit from the "Power Gamer" expansion pack for some of the wordings, but considering some of the other cards I've seen, I totally understand the nitpicks. :)

And THANK YOU! I totally had forgotten about that part of that section of the comic!

As for the art use, I know it's a bit wobbly, but I sadly have no funds to use on commissions to do it properly (unless I can get my wife to do it...hmmm).

Offline NovelIdea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:30:01 pm »
Okay, I've gotten license to post three more cards and I've corrected the errors in the CMC Discord card, the King Aspen card the Flim & Flam card.